Friday, April 9, 2010

Egg Coffee???

I recently heard of something that I thought was strange - Egg Coffee. At first I thought that it was some kind of baked dessert or something. Then, I thought it may be like a quiche of some sort. It turns out that it is eggs and coffee!?!?

All of my life, whenever I have enjoyed a nice cup of hot fresh coffee, I always thought in the back of my mind...do you know what this coffee is missing? Egg. AHHH, not really! So where did this strange concoction come from? And is it really any good?

It turns out that Egg Coffee is a Scandinavian tradition. Wise Geek gives us a little bit of history on Egg Coffee:

"Egg coffee was very popular in Scandinavian countries like Norway and Sweden up until around the 1930s, when the demand for this drink began to wane. In the late 1990s, egg coffee experienced a resurgence; it's possible that Midwesterners brought egg coffee back, since the American Midwest is home to many Scandinavian traditions which are no longer observed in Scandinavia itself. Many Midwesterners associate egg coffee with Lutheran churches, since this beverage is commonly served at church events in this region of the world."

So, how do you make Egg Coffee? As with most things that are more than one way to do it. I found this recipe on Wiki Recipes:

Ingredients

  • 8 Quarts & 1/2 Cups of Cold Water
  • 3 Cups Ground Coffee
  • 3 Eggs
  • Cheesecloth

Instructions

Heat 8 Quarts Cold water to boiling in a large coffee pot. Let water boil 2 minutes.

Put 1 cup ground roast coffee and 1 egg in the center of a square of cheesecloth.

Bring up edges like a sack and tie tightly around coffee and egg.

Make 2 more coffee and egg bags.

Break eggs in cheesecloth bags and using hands, muddle together with coffee.

Drop sacks of egg moistened coffee into boiling water. Boil 4 minutes.

Remove coffee bags and discard.

Add 1/2 cup cold water to settle the ground.

I also found another recipe on About.com. But, I won't list it all here. I will however, put this video from Ritual Coffee that gives step-by-step instructions on how to make Norwegian Egg Coffee:



One last thing that I should note: In my searching for Egg Coffee I came across a question on Coffee and Caffine FAQ that I have never considered.

Why do some people put egg shell in coffee grounds?

Click Here to find out why?


Have you ever heard of Egg Coffee before? Have you actually tried it? Do you put egg shells in your coffee grounds? Tell us all about it...either on our website or on Facebook.

http://coffeecrowd.com
http://facebook.com/coffeecrowd